If you’re suffering from sciatica in Baton Rouge, LA, Dr. Damon Butler at Central Chiropractic Center is committed to helping you achieve natural and lasting relief.
Understanding Sciatica and Its Effects
The spinal system is made of a combination of joints, discs, muscle, ligaments, and nerves – all of which play an important role. The largest nerve is called the sciatic nerve, which is located in the lower back and has five roots. It spreads from the lower back into the hips, the buttocks, and the back of each leg all the way down to the feet.
Sciatica is a condition in which this nerve becomes pinched. This typically occurs if a vertebra is out of alignment, you have a herniated or bulging disc, or the nerve gets trapped due to an injury. It can also occur, though, during pregnancy or if you suffer from spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, and similar issues. Age and being overweight can also play a part as the spine tends to wear down over time and if it’s consistently supporting excess weight.
Signs and Symptoms of Sciatica
Patients suffering from sciatica often have a great deal of pain and discomfort, though the specific symptoms and severity can vary. There are some commonalities, though, including those below.
- Shooting pain or burning feeling down one leg or in the buttock, which often worsens after sitting
- Numbness, weakness, or tingling in one leg or foot
- Constant pain in the lower back, usually on only one side
- Difficulty standing straight or walking
It’s important to understand that sciatica usually only affects one side of the body – not both. If you’re dealing with these symptoms on both sides, there may be another issue at play.
Treatment for Sciatica in Baton Rouge, LA
While sciatica can be incredibly painful, the good news is that you can relieve that pain and suffering through the natural treatments that chiropractic care provides. Dr. Butler at Central Chiropractic Center will help determine the best course of treatment for your individual condition, which may include any or a combination of the following.
- Adjustments to ensure the spine is aligned properly, leaving no undue pressure on the nerves.
- Electrical stimulation, which utilizes electrical currents to reduce spasms and promote the flow of blood and healing nutrients to target areas.
- Spinal decompression therapy, which helps to stretch the spine, achieve proper placement of the spine’s components, and take pressure off of the sciatic nerve.
- Therapeutic exercises to help stretch and strengthen the spine while reducing pain and restoring mobility.
Don’t let sciatica keep you down. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Butler at Central Chiropractic Center in Baton Rouge, LA by calling (225) 706-0454.